Most people don’t wake up on any given morning and say to themselves, “I think I’ll go out and find a real estate agent today!” You are either planning to buy or sell a house; otherwise you probably wouldn’t be looking for a real estate agent.
Let us say that you are, indeed, planning to buy or sell a house and actually need/want the services of a real estate agent. How do you decide which agent to work with, and what qualities should you look for?
The start of your relationship
Working with a real estate agent means that you will be forging a close business relationship for a potentially extended period of time. Your agent is the person who will know almost as much as you do about what you are looking for in your future home, or what is motivating you to sell your current home. He or she will be privy to your financial condition, and sometimes the keeper of secrets – information regarding the purchase or sale that you do not wish (for privacy reasons) to have disclosed to anyone.
Your agent will help you remain focused during the often emotionally charged process of buying or selling your home.
Your dream real estate agent
You may already have some idea of the qualities you want or expect to find in your dream real estate agent. Let’s consider five important qualities that all real estate agents should have:
• Honesty: Above all else, you depend on your agent to be honest with you, and when representing you. Your agent should conduct all activities related to your purchase or sale with integrity.
• Knowledge: Your agent should be knowledgeable about real estate regulations, laws, contracts and practices.
He or she also should be thoroughly knowledgeable about the real estate market in which you are planning to sell or purchase your house.
• Proactive: The agent you choose should be one who will act on your behalf and not on what’s most convenient or what will yield the largest commission.
Your agent should be working diligently every day to market your property or locate and secure the ideal property for you.
• Communication: Every client has a preference for how he or she wishes to communicate with the agent, and how often. As part of your partnership, you and your agent must agree upon preferred method(s) of communication.
Your agent should be an excellent listener – great at asking questions, but even better at listening to your answers.
Your agent should be committed to keeping you well-informed at all stages of your sale or purchase.
• Detail focused: There are so many details connected with each sale or purchase. You will be depending on your agent to keep track of everything related to the transaction. following up on leads, and communicating effectively (and regularly) with you.
Every client has his or her own dream real estate agent wish list. The five qualities listed here are only starting points. But they are among the qualities most frequently cited by clients and industry writers as being among the most important.